Analytical essay writing: dos and don’ts
Analytical essay writing: dos and don’ts
It may seem strange to some people but writing papers can be interesting and engrossing. It’s just necessary to focus on the question and make an investigation of the theme. There’re a lot of kinds of essay but perhaps one of the most challenging tasks is analytical essay writing. Clear enough in this type of essay you should examine some works of art (books, plays, events and so on) and give your opinion about your topic. This article will help you to understand basic rules and what not to do when writing an analytical essay.
First steps to writing an analytical essay
- Organize your thoughts. Think what you will write about, especially in conclusion. When you have an aim you’ll find the way to it. Take as an example some article and reveal information in the logical order you’ll see there.
- Create questions to ask when writing an analytical essay. It’ll help you to make main points to be revealed. Moreover you’ll write about that what you’re interested in.
- Do not retell the text. You should analyze it and give your personal response. Perhaps if it’s necessary you can give some short information about story line mentioning only main events and main characters. Especially writing an analytical essay on a short story.
- Read several sources before you’ll begin to write. These should trust-worthy webpages, books and articles of some experts. Try not to refer on texts without authors on some amateur websites.
- Compose an outline before writing an analytical essay. Then you’ll have a definite structure and won’t be stuck on one sentence with no writing idea.
- Right down several talking points. It’s like an outline but contains more details. In this case you’ll know exact things to be written about.
What not to do when writing an analytical essay
- No colloquial language and no slang or your paper won’t be read seriously.
- There’s an opinion that it’s better not to use contractions and “etc.”. It shows that the writer has no more thoughts to reveal.
- When writing an analytical essay you should avoid using the first person. It’ll give you a possibility to be unbiased and your thoughts will be seen as trust-worthy.
Analytical essay writing tips: what and how to write
- Use present tense while writing. It seems to be a trifle but pay attention that most academic papers and articles are written in this tense.
- One of the most important steps to writing an analytical essay is to create an eye-catching title. It should be interesting, not very long and contain some intrigue. Your title should be connected with the whole text and not with only one part of it.
- Use several vivid examples based on your material while analytical essay writing. This’ll help you not to lose reader’s interest and it’ll support your ideas and opinions.
- When writing an analytical essay adhere to the rule: the paper should be well-structured (introduction, analysis of the text, personal response and conclusion). In conclusion you should say what you’re going to discuss and the research question or in other words main issue you deal with. In the next part of your paper you should give an argument to this issue and analyze the text. For example what lexical expressive means the author uses, whether s/he managed to reveal the main idea to readers or whether the text has some subtext. When giving your personal opinion you may say what you really think. Even if you don’t like the text or the painting. When writing an analytical essay express your critical position supporting it with arguments. In your conclusion you should reveal the connection between your argument and the text or some other objects.
Some recommendations to writing an introductory paragraph for an analytical essay
- As it has been already mentioned you should reveal the main issue and your argument to it in the introduction. You can start with some general words on your theme or use a rhetorical question to rise reader’s curiosity.
- Avoid direct beginning with the writing object. You should make seamless transition from far objects to particular questions.
- Do not give examples because you lose effect of introduction.
Writing a conclusion for an analytical essay
You should mention the results you’ve got the main part of the text. Do not go into detail. They should be expressed in short words. One paragraph will be enough. If you want to make your conclusion interesting find some eye-catching quotation connected with your theme. This could be a starting point for your finishing the analysis.
So if you managed to read the article to the end, now you know basic analytical essay writing tips which will help you to cope with your difficult task. Just follow these rules and requirements of your instructor and you’ll see that creating papers is quite simple thing. Writing an introductory paragraph for an analytical essay do not forget to mention your topic and do not go too far from it because readers will get bored. And do not forget that while writing a conclusion for an analytical essay you should adhere the same principle: short and clearly.
If the analytical essay writing seems to you too difficult and causes too many problems then you have one more way what to do. Place an order in the writing service and forget your fears about the task!